Hello everyone! I'm DFB aka "the dread-filled bunny," a silly name that is a fair description for how I feel at the start of this adventure.
Back when I first graduated from college, I had a couple blogs with various friends. I have fond memories from then. Now, many years and a kid later, I don't have time for these things.. or do I? I have been peeking at this blog off and on for years, and now it's my turn to live it. I was intrigued by the community around this blog and excited by the prospect of getting feedback from all of you during this search.
I've purposely avoided thinking about this moment for five years. I am by instinct an over-researcher, over-thinker, maker-of-spreadsheets.. but so far for this K search I have nothing but a short list in my head. This week I went to a Parents for Public Schools enrollment workshop, and my heart started pounding. SEVENTY-TWO PUBLIC ELEMENTARY SCHOOLS???? I am not a fan of having too many choices.
These are the things that I am thinking about at the start:
- Public versus private? We both went to public schools. I am a believer in public school, he is not. With an only child, we can probably make a private school work financially.
- Mandarin immersion. We are very interested in mandarin immersion. Our son is currently in a mandarin daycare/preschool.
- Location, location, location. We live in Potrero Hill and both work nearby, so I really want to keep our school commute short as well.
- Academics. Having a strong academic program is really important to Mr. DFB. I think I agree but I am not sure where in ranks in relation to everything else, and am not sure if it needs to be a focus in elementary school. I want an environment that will nuture our kid's intrinsic desire to learn.
- Public: Starr King, JOES, Daniel Webster
- Private: CAIS, PKS, Live Oak, Alta Vista, Brightworks (really excited to see that Confused toured it already!)