Some things I did that I found to be helpful were:
- I created a sheet with all of my questions and made sure each question was answered on every tour. this helped for side by side comparison
- I read through the school's website so I wasn't asking questions like "when does school start".
- I took pictures on each tour to help me remember (by the end of tours they all jumbled together)
- I got contact information for the principal and someone from the PTA/PAC
- I scheduled tours right away (as some fill up).
- I showed up even if I had not signed up (and was never turned away)
- I re-toured some schools that I had toured early on
I quickly learned that not all tours are equal and I found it hard not judge the school based on the tour.
We are working to create a more user friendly interface. As I've said before, we are full-time parents with full-time job working hard to get the site updated as soon as possible. We will also be posting asking for for bloggers for the upcoming school year.