I just posted my tour notes for Tenderloin Community School
I've toured 6 schools so far (notes are coming) and two are most likely not going to go on my list. THIS IS NOT one of those schools.
I had a wonderful tour of this school, my tour notes should cover the building itself, which is new, big and bright.
But it meet my original criteria?
* A great GE program with additional art, music, sport
After a few tours I now realise that Art is part of K and most grades I see also do art. There does not seem to be any organised sport of K and especially in Public schools (or maybe only the ones I've seen). They do all have PE and most have Playworks. So I think I'm being realistic saying I want a great GE program now.
K classes goal of reading at Grade level this year
There are music classes for grades 3-5
There was lots of art on all the walls
There was plenty of play space
The children I saw in different grades were engaged and the teachers were in control (to my eyes anyway)
* a guaranteed spot in an after school program which isn't outrageously expensive
There is a CDC onsite and they charge $460 per month for fee paying. This seems to be the standard rate. It seems likely that we could get an after care, even after low SES families have their spots. It is not outrageously expensive but not cheap.
* thirdly we would like the school to be easily accessible by public transportation or walking so that either of us can do pick ups.
Location: less than a 20 minute walk from SOMA, which is pretty good for us, close to bus lines and BART
Why the school may not be a fit for us
* It is big, I know schools are bigger these days but it felt quite overwhelming to me (389). The K and 1st grades are on their own floor and have their own play area which is completely separate so this may not be as much of an issue as I think it is. The special Ed Class K,1,2 also uses this floor and play area.
* The feeder school is Francisco which is not convenient for us - yes 6 years away but we may not always work in our current locations, or even live where we live now. Also our younger son will start K in 2015 and drop offs and pick ups in those two locations would be logistically difficult.
Please feel free to add any questions. I've taken lots of notes and may not be covering everything that people would like to know.