Elementary (K5) students who live in attendance areas that do not have enough space to accommodate all the students living in the attendance area receive a density tiebreaker.
For each attendance area we calculated the number of kindergarten applicants who live in the attendance area (regardless of the choices they listed on their application form) as a percent of seats in the attendance area school. While 100% of kindergarten applicants live in an attendance area only 84% of kindergarten seats are in attendance area schools; the remaining 16% of seats are in city-wide schools. Therefore, if the percent of applicants in an attendance area was equal to or greater than 116% of capacity all elementary students (K5) who live in the attendance area got the density tiebreaker for all of their requests.
This passage seems to imply that city-wide seats were allocated to each attendance area at a fixed amount of 16%. Hum?
Is it correct to add 16% to 100% for the tiebreaker (116%) if only 84% of seats are in attendance area schools?
Can someone explain the assumptions and the math?