C5 International School is a Reggio-Emilia inspired Public Charter School in San Francisco that is under development and targeting to open Fall 2011. The management team and Board of Directors of C5 Children’s School are the sponsor-developer and eventual administrators of the C5 International School.
- The C5 development team felt strongly about creating C5 International School as a public charter school vs. a private school.
- The plan is to start with Kindergarten through 3rd grade. (4th through 8th grades will be added in the following years.) The class sizes are planned to be 20 children each with a teacher & teacher aide. The school size is expected to be 100 with 2 Kindergarten classes and 1st, 2nd & 3rd grade classes.
- Development Timeline: The deadlines for the charter proposal submission and Prop 39 facility request to SFUSD are the end of October. It will take 60-90 days to hear if the charter is granted.
- You can find out more about this school at public meetings on Wednesday, October 13, and Tuesday October 26, 5:30pm—6:30pm at 455 Golden Gate Avenue. Please RSVP to Bev Melugin at firstname.lastname@example.org if you plan to attend. More details re: parking etc. can be found here.
- They have 30 statements of interest to submit with their charter proposal. If you feel that this public charter school is a valuable option for your kid(s) entering K-3 for Fall 2011, please complete this form to be received by C5 by end of day Oct 27. (From what I understand, there is no downside to completing this form, because this doesn't obligate you from actually enrolling if the charter is approved.)
The positives: I feel that we need more charter school options (because they are outside of the SFUSD lottery system), Reggio Emilia is a great project based curriculum, the C5 Children’s School gets great reviews (there were a few PreK parents there), and the proposed director, teachers, etc. seem warm and capable.
The unknowns: Will SFUSD approve the charter? Where will SFUSD put C5? (On a side note: It appears that SFUSD will not move Creative Arts Charter from its Turk location. ADA improvements to begin Spring 2011.) The start & end times for classes and before/afterschool care are TBD.
I admire the C5 development team for choosing the public charter (vs. private school) route. I hope the C5 International public charter development team is successful and they can open by Fall 2011, because the curriculum is perfect for Hugo. I wonder, however, how uphill their journey is.
Any advice for the development team?