If you read my comment in the "Round I Letters" post, you already know we did not get good news on Saturday. Even though we felt we put down a balanced list (in my opinion much more balanced than many of our friends who got an assignment) we went 0/7 and were assigned Cobb GE.
Johann and I went through many emotions this weekend. Anticipation, excitement, anger, disgust, frustration, sadness and were left feeling slightly numb. We went into this process hoping to make it work for us, knowing we would not be able to stick it out till the 10 day count. So now we had some decisions to make, and they were forced decisions. We do not have a back up private or parochial and we will not enroll Madison at Cobb.
We decided we will wait until April 30th when the waitpool is drawn. We will waitpool the school we feel has the best odds and re write down the rest of our choices for round II (and yes I know this is pointless, but who knows, little of what happened round I makes sense to me), possibly adding New Traditions. If the letter comes without a school from our waitpool or list we are moving to Walnut Creek. We do not want to leave SF, but we have little choice. We would move to Antarctica if it meant our children will get a good education.
Please do not tell me "if you just wait it out it will generally work out" or "you will get something that works for you in the end". I don't want to hear it any more (I have already heard my share of it - all from people who got one of their 7 choices). I can not go into the summer knowing my child does not have a school for the fall, wondering if it will work out. Unless someone can guarantee us our waitpool school - I do not want to hear it.
We are working on the assumption that it will not work out at the end of April, and are already researching Walnut Creek so we are ready to move. Anyone who knows good preschools, swim schools, gymnastics etc there your input is very welcome!
For those of you who got a choice this weekend - I am very happy for you, really I am! For those who did not, I feel your pain. I hope whatever decision you make it works out for you in the end.