We narrowed down the schools by looking at proximity to our home as well as special programs (I want arts, Mathias wants science), diversity statistics and test and API scores (I know this is often more indicative of teaching to the test rather than learning, but it was important to Mathias). I plugged this all into a spreadsheet alongside the historical demand so we could measure our chances at each school. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, the west side of SF has mostly popular schools. I hope that I get a good feeling at a few less demanded ones so I can decrease the odds of going 0/7.
So here is the list in no real particular order – as time goes on I may add or take away some.
Schools we will tour together-
- George Peabody
- Grattan (a bit of a haul and high demand but have heard a lot about the sciences and arts there)
- Sherman (slightly out of our way – but this was my elementary school so I have to see it now!)
Schools I will tour alone-
- Alice Fong Yu *
- Creative Arts Charter
Other schools that I may tour, but I have reservations about
- New Traditions – (I don’t really like the split K/1st grade class)
- Claire Lilienthal – (I know this is a great school but the 7:50 start time coupled with the split campus means lots of stress when Noah starts K and Maddie 3rd grade – I don’t think I could do it!)
- The Montessori program at Cobb (OK, I never even considered this before the responses to my last post. We are currently looking into the Montessori method and trying to decide if it will even work with Maddie, but I may go to just take a look. It will be a hard sell for Mathias.)
- Dianne Feinstein (may be too far for a 7:50 start time)
I would love to hear from parents who send their kids to these schools, what do you love about your school? Additionally what should I look for when touring? What is not important?
* update - I had initially listed Alice Fong Yu as an option for me to tour alone, assuming wrongly that they had both a GE and an immersion program - thanks to the commenter that pointed this out to me. Since we are not looking for immersion program this is one less school for me to tour. See how new I am to this?!? I did not even know it was a complete immersion school. So since I will not be touring them this week my first review will should come late next week.