Another dilemma from an SF K Files visitor:
We got into a transitional K program about a week ago. Several kids from my daughter's preschool are going there, and I know she'd be happy there and probably thrive, grow in confidence, etc. She's a little on the young side, but not too much (September). We've put the deposit down. Our waitpool school is a nice neighborhood school that could turn into a great neighborhood school -- it seems to have a new influx of parent energy and a great proactive principal. I ironically went to EPC today to withdraw our name from the waitpool, when they told me there is a spot available. I told them I needed 24 hours to think it over and would come back tomorrow if we decided yes (and see if it's still available ...)
I'm not sure what to do. Financially, swinging TK will be so hard for us. And while I think my daughter is a little immature for kindergarten, i don't think she's outrageously unready for it. But at her school they have all been talking about their new TK school and are excited to be going. She's very happy about it. When I tried testing the waters and said, oh, well you know, i heard about this other school, which sounds nice too and we could go look at it, she gets really upset and says she doesn't want to go to kindergarten; she wants to go to the TK with all her friends. Is this a normal reaction to the uncertainty I'm now throwing at her? Other people who switched kids during the 10-day count, how did your children react? I guess I just feel sad too because I read about all these confident happy kids going off to kindergarten -- kids who've had time to get used to the idea of where they're going to school, and have met other kids through picnics, etc -- and then I see my child and how anxious she seems. But maybe that will dissipate once she makes the switch?